Devotion for March 11, 2018 - David Livingstone Pt #2


Headed for China but Dies in Africa - Pt #2

Philippians 3:13-14 (KJV), “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

As a surgeon carefully selects the instruments with which he works, so it is ever with the divine Physician; and though David Livingstone was anxious to enter his chosen field, Providence led him to tarry for a little while in preparation.  During this time of waiting he put into practice the motto which in later life he gave to the pupils in a Sunday-school, "Trust God and work hard."  

Continued from last week;

Leaving his well-established work among the Namangwato, the Bakaa, the Makalaka, and the Bechuana tribes to be carried on by trained native helpers, this fearless man pressed on - always toward the dark interior.  When his course was criticized, he wrote, "I will go anywhere, provided it be forward," and "forward" he went.

Livingstone's mind was one of that broad character which at the outset grasps the whole of a problem, and to those who have followed his later course it is clear why he saw no duty in settling down on one fixed spot to teach and preach in a slavery-harrowed land.  He knew that, first, there must be a mighty clearing out of this evil.  As for his own intent, he said, "Cannot the love of Christ carry the missionary where the slave-trade carries the trader?"  And so, right through to the west coast he marched, carrying and diffusing everywhere a knowledge of the redeeming Christ, and illustrating by his own kindly life and words and deeds the loving mercies of the Lord.

The physician and the scientist, the minister and the reformer, were all combined in this one purposeful man.  The people believed him to be a wizard, and even credited him with power to raise the dead.  Heathen, sick and curious, crowded about his wagon, but not an article was stolen.  One day the chief of a savage tribe said: "I wish you would change my heart.  Give me medicine to change it; for it is proud, proud and angry, angry always."

Livingstone left on record in his journals invaluable data of rivers, lakes, and streams, treacherous bogs, and boiling fountains, plants, animals, seasons, products, and tribes, together with the most accurate maps.

Near the mighty but then unknown Zambesi, Livingstone found the Makololo people, a tribe from which came his most devoted native helpers.  When he left them to journey toward the west coast, as many men as he needed willingly agreed to accompany him.  After a terrible journey of seven months, involving imminent starvation and endless exposure, the party at last reached their destination, St. Paul de Loanda, a Portuguese settlement.

Full as this journey was of incidents, one of the most impressive things about it all was the horrors of the slave trade, which came home to the missionary with heart-rending directness.  "Every day he saw families torn asunder, dead bodies along the way, gangs chained and yoked, skeletons grinning against the trees by the roadside.  As he rowed along on the beautiful river Shire, the paddles of his boat were clogged in the morning with the bodies of women and children who had died during the night, and were thus disposed of by their masters."  And when he was sure that the wretched system was entrenched from the center of the continent to the coast, is it any wonder that he determined to make the exposure of this gigantic iniquity his principal work until "the open sore of the world" should be healed?

The slave-raiders were Livingstone's bitter enemies, and did everything possible to hinder his work.  Just a story: -

Into a quiet little village on the shores of Lake Nyassa came some strangers one beautiful afternoon.  The king sent to inquire as to their business.  "We are Livingstone's children," they said.  "Our master has found a road to the coast, and sent us back for his supplies.  The day is late; we wish to spend the night in your village."  "The white master is our friend," said the king, and he commanded his men to prepare the best huts for Livingstone's children.  Some of the servants left at once to carry out the king's command, and soon the visitors were comfortably settled.  The people flocked to their huts; bringing many gifts, and lingered about until the day was ended.

Late that night, when all the village was asleep, suddenly there was a piercing scream, then another, and another.  The people rushed from their huts; for many of their homes were on fire.  The white men, who called themselves Livingstone's children, were seizing women and children, and binding them with strong cords of leather.  Around the necks of the men they fastened great Y-shaped sticks, riveting the forked ends together with iron.  "We have been deceived," cried the natives.  “The visitors were not Livingstone's children.  They were slave-raiders.  O why did we ever trust them?  If the white master were here, he would save us.  He never takes slaves."

In the gray light of the morning, leaving their village a heap of smoldering ruins, the sad procession was marched off, heavily guarded.  For two days their merciless captors drove them under the hot tropical sun without food or water.  Late the second afternoon, they suddenly came upon a camp, at a sharp bend of the road, and there, in plain view, stood Dr. Livingstone.  Every slave driver took to his heels and disappeared in the thickets.  They had all respect for that one white man.  They knew he was in Africa to stop the slave trade.  The whole procession of slaves fell on their knees in thanksgiving, rejoicing in this unexpected deliverance, and were soon returning to their own country.

Do you wonder why the poor heathen loved the missionary?  He never once betrayed their confidence.  Almost immediately after reaching the Portuguese settlement on the coast, he was prostrated with a very severe illness.  An English ship in the harbor was about to sail.  In his great weakness, Livingstone longed for the bracing air of the Scottish highlands, and a sight of his beloved wife and children in the homeland.  But he prepared his reports, charts, and observations, put them aboard the ship, and, after watching it set sail, made ready to march back into the interior.

Why did he not go home? - There was just one reason.  He had promised his native helpers that if they would journey with him to the coast, he would see them back safely to their homes, and "his word to the black men of Africa was just as sacred as it would have been if pledged to the queen.  He kept it as faithfully as an oath made to Almighty God.  It involved a journey of nearly two years in length, a line of march two thousand miles long, through jungles, swamps, and desert, through scenes of surpassing beauty."  But the result was worth the cost; for two years later, when he came out on the east coast at Quilimane, "he was the best known, best loved, and most perfectly trusted man in Africa."

Many times through all these wanderings he was in danger.  Once, during his early explorations, he had an adventure with a lion, which nearly cost his life.  He says of it in a letter: "The beast rushed from the bushes and bit me on the arm, breaking the bone.  I hope I shall never forget God's mercy. I t will be well before this reaches you.  Do not mention it to anyone.  I do not like to be talked about."  He never voluntarily referred to it; but "for thirty years thereafter, all adventures and exposures and hardships were undertaken with an arm so maimed that it was painful to raise a fowling-piece to his shoulder."  After his death, the body was identified by that scar and the compound fracture made by the lion's teeth.

Livingstone's visits to his homeland were brief, and each day was filled to the brim with interviews, lectures, and literary work.  He returned to Africa for the third and last time in 1866, ascended the Rovuma, and for three years was lost to the outside world.  During this time he visited lakes Meroe and Tanganyika, preaching the gospel to thousands and tens of thousands waiting in heathen darkness.

In 1871 his strength utterly gave way, and on October 23, reduced to a living skeleton, he reached Ujiji, after a perilous journey of six hundred miles taken expressly to secure supplies.  He was bitterly disappointed to find that the rascal to whom the delivery of the goods had been charged had disposed of the whole lot.  For eighty days he was obliged to keep his bed, and during this time he read his Bible through four times.  On the flyleaf he wrote: "No letters for three years.  I have a sore longing to finish and go home, if God wills."  Relief, letters, and supplies had all been sent him, but he never received them.  Many of the letters which he wrote never even reached the coast, as the Portuguese destroyed them whenever possible.

During all this time England - and, in fact, the world - waited with intense anxiety for news of the hero.  A report came that he was dead.  Then a relief expedition brought back the word that Livingstone was alive, and in Africa, but that they had not been able to find him.

Just at this crucial moment Henry M. Stanley was sent out by James Gordon Bennett, of the New York Herald, with the order: "Take what money you want, but find Livingstone.  You can act according to your own plans in your search, but whatever you do, find Livingstone-dead or alive."  Stanley went.  

For eleven months he endured incredible hardships, but his expedition pressed forward into the interior.  One day a caravan passed and reported that a white man had just reached Ujiji.  "Was he young or old?" questioned Stanley anxiously.  "He is old; he has white hair on his face; he is sick," replied the natives.  As the searching party neared the village, flags were unfurled, and a salute fired from the guns.  They were answered by shouts from hundreds of Africans.  Stanley was greeted by Susi, Livingstone's servant, and soon stood face to face with the great missionary-explorer.  He had found Livingstone.

The brief visit which they enjoyed meant much to both men.  In vain Stanley pleaded with the Livingstone to go home with him.  The old missionary's heart was resolute, and he set his face as a flint.  He did not feel that his work was done.  At length the newspaper man and his company started eastward.  Livingstone went some distance with them, and then, a broken old man, "clad in faded gray clothes," with bowed head and slow step, returned to his chosen solitude.  Five months later the relief party reached Zanzibar, and news of Livingstone's safety and whereabouts was flashed to all parts of the world.

As the explorer again took up his weary way, physically weak and in constant pain, the buoyant spirit rose above hardship, and the Scotchman plucked a smile at the impossibilities.  He wrote in his diary: "Nothing earthly will make me give up my work in despair.  I encourage myself in the Lord my God, and go forward."  

Weary months followed, filled with travel, toil, and physical suffering.  The last of April 1873, a year after Stanley left him, he reached the village of Ilala, at the southern end of Lake Bangweolo.  He was so ill that his attendants were obliged to carry him as they journeyed, but the heroic spirit was still struggling to finish a work which would make possible the evangelization of the Dark Continent.

While the spirit was willing, the flesh was weak indeed, and on the morning of the first of May, his faithful servants found him kneeling at the bedside, with his head buried in his hands upon the pillow. "He had passed away without a single attendant, on the farthest of all his journeys.  But he had died in the act of prayer - prayer offered in that reverential attitude about which he was always so particular; commending his own spirit, with all his dear ones, as was his wont, into the hands of his Saviour; and commending Africa, his own dear Africa, with all her woes and sins and wrongs, to the Avenger of the oppressed and the Redeemer of the lost."


On April 18, 1874 David Livingstone was buried in Westminster Abbey, beside England's kings and great men.  Henry Stanley and Jacob Wainright were two of the eight pall bearers.  At the funeral were his children, the aged Robert Moffit, father of his beloved Mary, the humble folk who had loved him, and the great who had honored and respected him.

Blog categories: